Saturday, July 24, 2010

Tent Topper Card


The other day on Stamp TV Gina K made a tent topper card. I've always been intrigued by these cards but was intimidated by the mechanics of making these cards. I've seen the instructions and didn't have enough confidence to make one. However after watching the video I realized that it's all about proportions and layout.
So I got busy and started looking through my stuff and made three of them.
I'm really proud of these cards since the only new thing used on these cards is the technique.
I first went through the images that were already colored and found three that would work. The image I used for this card is from a stamp I've had forever. It is stamped on vellum and then trimmed around the edges, I layered it onto a scrap of pale blue DP that has lighter blue dots that I had cut out with a Nestie. Then I cut out the green mat with a larger Nestie. The base is 4.25" by 4.25" that I layered with blue, then the stripe at 4 by 4, then the lighter blue at 3 7/8 by 3 7/8. I took a strip of tan DP and layered the sentiment stamped onto the blue DP on top. Well then I started to assemble the card and realized that my focal point is too small. Bummer. So I sat and thought about what to do, the next size Nestie is too wide for the card base so I turned a quarter turn so it would finish the card at 5.5" and thought, 'hmm, that's different, lets go with it'. Sometimes it pays to talk to yourself ( just don't do it in public).
I'm really pleased with how this turned out, hope you like it. I'll post the other two over the next few days. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: